The aims of the program are to teach you self-treatment and management strategies that may help decrease the impact of pain on your quality of life. This will give you the confidence to engage with life in a more active and meaningful way.
The program begins with a comprehensive assessment, including collaborative goal setting, with your multi-disciplinary team including your pain rehabilitation specialist.
From there your program will be customised to meet your individual needs and goals. This may involve a combination of individual and group based sessions including:
- Education about your pain system
- Medication and sleep education
- Mindfulness training
- Movement and posture re-education
- Preparation for return to work / study / volunteer work
- Retraining in everyday activities
- Self-treatment / management strategies
- Stress management techniques e.g. relaxation
- Tai Chi
- Graded exercise program
There are a number of programs available to accommodate your individual clinical needs. We can accommodate country and interstate patients wanting to participate in this program.
- Day rehabilitation
- Residential outpatient services for country or interstate patients
- Inpatient services
On completion of the program we anticipate that you will achieve the following:
- Increased participation in social, community and recreational activities
- Improved self-treatment and management of your pain, using physical, practical and psychological strategies.
- Improved knowledge of pain and how changes to your pain system influences your pain experience
- Increased level of participation in everyday activities
- Feel more in control of your pain
- Improved ability to effectively manage a flare in your pain
- Improved confidence in your physical abilities
If persistent pain starts impacting on your everyday life; affecting your sleep, your ability to complete domestic tasks and work, your mood, personal relationships and social / leisure activities, then participation in this pain rehabilitation program will be helpful.
Our program has a holistic, integrated multidisciplinary approach and involves a team of professionals, including:
- Pain Rehabilitation Consultant
- Exercise Physiologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Further allied health services (social work, dietician) are available for further individual therapy as required.
To access this service:
Please Download and complete the attached referral form in consultation with your GP or treating specialist and fax to 9474 8956.