Falls + Balance Program
The Falls + Balance program aims to return you to completing your activities of daily living and leisure activities safely and with confidence of not falling. Allowing you re-engage with social and recreational activities to maximise your quality of life.
The falls and balance involves a comprehensive examination with the rehabilitation consultant or geriatrician, and the physiotherapist to determine the cause of your balance issues.
The program runs twice weekly for 8 weeks.
Each session consists of a group based exercise class and an education session.
The education sessions cover a variety of topics such as:
- Preventing falls in the home and in the community
- Maintaining general wellbeing and staying active
- Energy conservation and pacing
- The importance of falls prevention
On completion of the program we anticipate that you will achieve the following:
- improved balance skills
- increased functional and exercise tolerances
- increased independence with activities of daily living
- Increased confidence to complete everyday tasks
- increased knowledge and implementation of falls prevention strategies
- reduced risk of future falls at home and in the community
The Falls + Balance is designed to assist those who have:
- A history of falls or a fear of falling
- General physical deconditioning and a loss of mobility
- Vestibular issues
- Reduced ability to cope and manage independently
- Restricted social or recreational activity due to a lack of confidence
This program involves the following rehabilitation team members:
- Rehabilitation Consultant
- Exercise Physiologist
- Occupational Therapist
Further allied health services (social work, dietician, psychology) are available for further individual therapy as required.
To access this service:
Please Download and complete the attached referral form in consultation with your GP or treating specialist and fax to 9474 8956.