This program aims to increase your functional and exercise capacity so you can return to your domestic, leisure and social activities. The program will assist you in making informed choices and adopt a healthy lifestyle to reduce your risk of future cardiovascular events.
The program involves, 60 minutes of exercise and 60 minutes of education twice weekly for 6 weeks.
All patients receive an initial assessment with the rehabilitation consultant and physiotherapist who assess your suitability for the group.
From your initial assessment an individualized exercise program will be designed specifically for you. The exercise sessions will involve a combination of aerobic and strength based exercises.
Before each session the cardiac nurse will assess cardiac vitals and ensure you are safe to exercise. The cardiac nurse will continue to monitor you during and after the exercise session.
Each session will contain a different education session which aims to address the different risk factors and barriers to recovery that might not exist and put a plan in place to address them.
On completion of the program we anticipate that you will achieve the following:
- A better understanding of the modifiable risk factors
- Develop a plan to address and change the risk factors most relevant to you
- Increased capacity for exercise and return to previous activities safely
- Develop an independent exercise program which you can complete safely
- Develop a safe and timely return to work plan
- Develop a weight management plan as appropriate
- Reduced risk of future cardiac events
The following conditions are best suited for the program:
- Heart bypass surgery (CABGs)
- Valve replacement or repair
- Heart related chest pain (Angina)
- Heart attack
- Angioplasty and/or stents
- Pacemaker insertion
- Management of Hypertension and / or other cardiovascular risk factors
This program involves the following rehabilitation team members:
- Rehabilitation Consultant
- Cardiac Nurse
- Exercise Physiologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Social Worker
To access this service:
Please Download and complete the attached referral form in consultation with your GP or treating specialist and fax to 9474 8956.