The aims of this program is to maximise your recover post-surgery and return to your domestic, social and recreational activities in a timely and safe manner.
The program involves 60 minutes of Physiotherapy and Exercise Physiology and 30 minutes of Occupational Therapy twice weekly for typically 6 weeks. This includes a comprehensive assessment with your physiotherapist to develop an individualised treatment regime within the program.
When the surgical wound has sufficiently healed you will be able to begin hydrotherapy which runs for an extra 30 minutes.
On completion of the program we anticipate that you will achieve the following:
- Increased range of motion in the affect joint
- Increased muscle strength at the affected joint and globally
- Progression of gait aids towards your previous mobility levels
- Increased activity and exercise tolerance
- Improved knowledge and understanding of the surgery
- Improved self-management strategies regarding pain, muscle tightness and sleep routine
- Developed a plan on returning to previous activities
The following conditions are best suited for the program:
- Total Hip or Knee Joint replacement
- Partial Knee replacements or hemi-arthroplasties of the hip
- Lower limb fractures with and without requiring surgery
- Conservative management of Osteoarthritis or those looking delay joint replacement surgery
This program involves the following rehabilitation team members:
- Rehabilitation Consultant
- Exercise Physiologist
- Occupational Therapist
Further allied health services (social work, dietician, psychology) are available for further individual therapy as required.
To access this service:
Please Download and complete the attached referral form in consultation with your GP or treating specialist and fax to 9474 8956.